Network Initialisation Failed - Permission Denied
If the initial installation was interrupted then you may receive the above message "Network initialization failed. Permission denied".
It may sometimes show extra information: "Network initialization failed. Permission denied. File C:\PDOXUSRS.NET Directory: C:\"
Solution 1 - Extra Setup
From the Main Menu of Payroll Pro, select the "Troubleshooting" option. You can find this by clicking the HELP option in the top menu of Payroll Pro, and you will see "Troubleshooting" in the menu which drops down. In Payroll Pro version 2, you can also access troubleshooting by clicking the "Troubleshooting" button to the upper right hand side of the main menu.
Locate "Network initialization failed. Permission denied" - you will see a button "Click here to solve this problem" - click this.
Now click "Extra Setup"
After doing this try Payroll Pro again to see if the problem has been solved.
If you have already tried this, please go to Solution 2 below.
Solution 2 - General Program Options
This solution relates to Payroll Pro Version 2. If you are using Payroll Pro version 1, please go straight to solution 3 below.
- Run Payroll Pro, and at the data selection window, click CANCEL.
- Answer OK to the prompt "No Data Selected".
- Now click FILE and choose "GENERAL PROGRAM OPTIONS"
- Click the "ADVANCED" tab.
- Click the button "Additional Setup"
- Answer "YES" to continue.
- Click "Automatic"
- The process should then finish. Exit all programs and restart your computer.
If the problem still occurs please go to Solution 3 below.
Solution 3 - Manually change some settings
It is helpful if you have some computer knowledge before you continue with these steps. If you are unsure, we suggest you have an IT person do this for you.
- Go to your computer's "Control Panel". This can be found by clicking on the Windows Start button to the lower left of your screen, and locating "Control Panel"
- In the Control Panel locate "BDE Administrator" and double click on it to open it.
- You will see two tabs on the left hand side - Databases and Configuration - Click the "Configuration" tab.
- Click on the [+] signs in the white area so that you obtain the following:
- Click once on PARADOX. A list will appear to the right:
- Locate NET DIR (should be the first item), and where C:\ is showing beside it,
- Save the changes by clicking OBJECT from the top menu, then select EXIT.
Answer YES to confirm the changes.
- Create a folder called PDOXNET on your C: drive.
Check that a folder of this name is not already there (use "My Computer" or just "Computer").
If it is already there then go to step 9, if it is not there then create the folder from "My Computer" (or just "Computer").
- Close all programs and then restart your computer.
- Once your computer has restarted, try Payroll Pro again.
This should now have solved the problem. If not, there may be some security settings on your computer blocking Payroll Pro and the "Borland Database Engine" from working. You will need to have someone who is familiar with your computer to check this out for you.